KonMari-ing My Life...Starting With My Closet



New Year's Resolutions, we all make them.  Last year I made the resolution to get more organized and I think I did pretty well with that goal.  But there's always room for improvement. So I made that one of my resolutions again this year. We're halfway through January and I've already made huge steps in succeeding in my resolution.  

I'm using the KonMari Method created by Marie Kondo.  I've eliminated so much stuff, tidied up, and reorganized a fraction of my house the past week.  And honestly, its really changed my attitude towards keeping up with the housework.  Each day I think to myself, What project should I start next?, as I read from my list. 


For those who don't know, Marie Kondo is an organizing consultant and author.  Her book,  The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Upand now new series on Netflix, Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, teaches you to find joy in the items you have and not just eliminating your items.  The KonMari Method teaches you that if you properly simplify and organize your home once, you'll never have to do it again. 


Her method consists of 5 categories and 6 rules to tidy, declutter and organize.  Marie suggests sticking with the order and rules for you to properly succeed in your tidying process.  Now I'm guilty, I haven't really stuck with the correct order, but her method is still working well for me.  


Photo Source


THE SIX RULES

1. Commit yourself to tidy up.
2. Imagine your ideal lifestyle. 
3. Finish discarding first. 
4. Tidy by category, not by location. 
5. Follow the right order. 
6. Ask yourself if it sparks joy. 

So far using this method I have organized our bedroom and the results are outstanding! I started by pulling EVERY piece of clothing out and went through them one by one. Then I picked up each article of clothing and asked myself, Does this spark joy? If it did, I put it aside and moved onto the next item.  When I came to an item that was dated, I haven't worn in ages or no longer fit properly, I thanked the item and put in a donation pile.  After I was done going through my clothes I refolded and hung them back up.   I organized my hanging clothes by color, sleeve length, every-day-wear, and long hang.  I must say that this method has really made access to our clothes easier and makes for a quicker way to decide what we would like to wear that day.  

With Marie's method of folding, it allows you to see all of your items so you can easily determine your outfit choice for the day. The key is to fold the item in thirds and then stand them up in a file like fashion.   This technique works for all shirts, pants, sweaters/hoodies, undergarments, etc.  
More diagrams for folding specific items can be found HERE


Organizing doesn't have to be a struggle or expensive.  Use what you have on hand to help you; repurpose an old crate or simple as a shoebox.  If you're using a shoebox, I suggest giving the box a facelift by wrapping in some pretty paper if you have a certain aesthetic in mind.  


On the left is what I consider my long hang items.  These include dresses, dusters, cardigans, and jackets.  On the lower hang bar, I have my everyday wear which consists mostly of t-shirts.  On the top, I store my flannel/plaid shirts, dressier tops, sweaters, vests, and a few pairs of boots that I have hanging with boot hangers.  

I used baskets, canvas tote boxes, and acrylic storage bins that I had on hand.  They hold my lipsticks, perfumes, camisoles, lotions and a bin to hold my hubby's hats.  


Here's my leggings drawer.  Before I had them folded in stacks and the drawer struggled to shut.  Since I've refolded them using Marie's method the drawer shuts with ease. 



My hubby's t-shirts folded in his chest of drawers.  


The KonMari Method doesn't just spark joy in your belongings, it sparks joy in your attitude towards tidying and organizing your home.  Her method is proven successful and keeps your home clutter free.  Give the KonMari Method a try, you never know, it could change your life.  

That's the word.  Until next time.  

-C

Did you try this method? Did it work for you? Are you currently using the method? Was it flop? Drop a comment below and let me know your experience with the KonMari Method.

Comments

Popular Posts