Linen Closet Revamp Under $40

I'm currently in the process of KonMari-ing my house and purging things we no longer need or use.  One of the biggest projects was our linen closet.  Now, I know we're all guilty of it.  It's easy to let those closets go.  To toss the towels in or the spare blankets you keep on your bed, that closet is your catch-all.

Our linen closet was also the closet of forbidden and lost toys.  If my boys started getting too rowdy with their RC cars and jamming them into my ankles, or if they started to fight over the robot toy, up in the closet it went, on the very tip-top shelf where they couldn't reach it.  *Insert evil laugh here.*

So as you can imagine, when I started removing EVERYTHING from the closet, excitement grew in my rambunctious boys as their sacred toys were removed from the top shelf and they could once again ...fight over the robot toy.  *sigh*

I removed everything from the closet and discarded any old medicines, hygiene products, nail polishes, etc.  I removed the shelves to give them a good wipe down and my husband stepped into the blue linen closet and began painting it white.  We thought about painting the shelves white, but we liked how farmhouse-y they looked against the crisp, white walls of the closet, so we decided to keep them as is.

I picked up four white wicker baskets, $5 a piece at Home Depot, to hold our hand towels and washcloths, the kids' towels, toilet paper, and cleaning products. I hung small, white tags on the basket to designate what items go in each basket. 

I grabbed 2 Gray Storage bins, $5 a piece from Walmart, found in the kitchen section, to hold hair tools and our hand soaps and body washes.  I normally stock up on our soaps from Bath and Body Works when they have their Buy 3 Get 3 Free sale to save money.  If you want to me to do a haul post from there, let me know in the comments below.
I had a few leftover items, such as band-aids, contact solution, and the like, that didn't have a home after I purged the closet.  I found two small totes with lids, that I already had on hand, one for band-aids and the other for travel toothpaste that we get every time we go to the dentist.  

I already had an empty 3 divided compartment clear vanity tray from Walmart, so I used that to store contacts, medicines, and the bottles of rubbing alcohol.  I tucked the tray and small containers behind the gray bins as they contain the items we don't use every day.  


Before I updated our linen closet, we had a three drawer tote storage to keep the overabundance of hand towels, washcloths, hair tools and accessories, and extra hygiene items.  We got rid of that storage and filled the space with a white lamper.  Yes, you read that right, a lamper.  Laundry basket + hamper = lamper.  Clever, Walmart, clever; and for around $8, not that bad.  I think this was our favorite part of the revamp since we now had a place to put our worn clothes instead of in a hamper outside the bathroom door.  



Once my hubby was done painting and it was dry, I placed everything back in.  When we first moved into our house, we purchased some battery operated LED lights from Home Depot and hung them up in the closets to give us some light when we're digging through the closet to find what we need.  

Overall, I love how the closet turned out and I love that I got rid of so much stuff as well.  I kept asking myself, why do I have 40 things of nail polish.  I don't even paint my own nails...I'm not good at it.  The closet is much bigger and brighter now with the white walls and we love how easy it to find what we need right away.  Our next project for our linen closet is a new door and casing.  
I have to say, making one of my resolutions to get more organized was a great idea, especially since I started doing Marie Kondo's Method. 
What about you, did you make any resolutions to get more organized or to try the KonMari Method? Let me know in the comments below.  If you're on track with your resolutions, AWESOME! If you're not, well, you still have about 11 months left in 2019 to make it happen.  LOL.

That's the word.  Until next time.
-C

BEFORE ...maybe just skip over those. YIKES! 




AFTER! AWWW, much better!





Comments

Popular Posts